Homework forms a critical part of the education process. Assignments have existed for generations now. There are arguments on the amount of time that a leaner has to spend on homework outside a school environment. So what is their basis?
Supporting Arguments on Banning Homework
- Assignments create a longer learning day for learners than the working hours of parents. When parents bring work home after a workday, it always has a compensation plan. Which is contrary to the extra work kids have to do at home in the form of assignments. Learners, therefore, have less time for recreation, which is important to their general development.
- Lack of a success guarantee on elevating academic performance. Research outcomes on homework give conflicting and inconclusive results.
- Homework constraints cause a learner-burnout and reduces their general output. Assignment related stress causes massive performance issues in young students. Research points out adverse and direct issues such as student dropout, because of the amount of time and volume learners subject themselves to.
- A total ban on homework will give families time to bond. Research shows that one out of three households in America attribute assignments to home stress. There is no time to spend together as a family, and specific homework guidelines prevent parents from participating in their kid’s learning process.
- The health of the learner is greatly affected by a huge homework load. Some instructors judge learners from their prompt submission of their assignments. Failure to submit assignments on time generates a negative perception that can negatively affect learners. When left unchecked, this can lead to mental illnesses.
- Outlawing homework would assist learners in getting enough sleep. Homework reduces the amount of sleeping time for learners.
- Reduced dynamism in learning. Most homework assignments entail repetitive concepts already learned in school.
- Outlawing homework can provide extra time for peer interaction. When learners head home after a day in school to do homework, they increasingly get isolated, and a feeling of loneliness sets in. It, in turn, results in avoidance and shyness, which follows them to adulthood.
- Lack of a conducive home environment for homework. Some families are dysfunctional while other homes have attention grabbers like TV programs etc. The lack of a conducive learning environment around a child will increase their frustration. Outlawing homework would flatten the field for learners with and those without a conducive environment for learning.
- Elimination of irrelevant work. Sometimes instructors give out non-targeted homework. The expectation that students write concepts not covered in class affects their grades.
Dissenting arguments on banning of homework
- Instructors can gauge the levels of learner understanding with regard to specific concepts. If concepts learned can reflect positively in assignments, then it shows the effectiveness of the classroom learning environment.
- Assignments reduce exam based anxiety and stress on learners. It is because they get used to answering and figuring out concepts, so exams become familiar.
- Assignments can indicate learning disabilities in kids.
- Homework provides an avenue for parents to get involved in the learning process. To understand the concepts their kids get exposed to in schools.
- Assignments are avenues for learners to conduct deeper research as most average lessons in schools are about an hour each.
- Assignments train learners on time management and the importance of persistence in achieving success. Which is an invaluable skill in their adult life?
- Homework builds accountability in learners, especially in the learning process.
The benefits and drawbacks of homework are subjective to each learner. Some thrive while others flounder when faced with the reality of homework every day. Until conclusive research determines otherwise, stick to your thought process and allow students to get help from Ez Assignment Help anytime they are struggling with homework.